S.T.A.R.(Specialized Transit - Arranged Rides) is a service of Valley Metro that is operated by RADAR, to provide transportation to individuals with disabilities who are unable to ride a Valley Metro bus. The following are guidelines under which we operate the S.T.A.R. service:
- Service Area: The entire City of Roanoke, the town of Vinton, and the city of Salem are service areas; within 3/4 of one mile on either side of a regular Valley Metro fixed route.
- Qualification: To be qualified for S.T.A.R. service, you must first submit a completed application to Valley Metro.
- Service Hours: 5:45 a.m. - 8:45 p.m. Monday through Saturday. The last pickup time scheduled is 8:15 p.m. Please note that our service does not operate on New Year's Day, Memorial Day, July Fourth, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas, or any day when Valley Metro is operating on snow routes. If the service is closed for any other reason, announcements will be made on local radio and television stations.
- Cost: The cost per trip is $3.50. All clients must pay by cash, ticket or pass. If paying by cash, exact change is required. Drivers are not allowed to make change. Collection of the fare will be completed before the client boards the vehicle. Tickets or passes can be purchased in advance by calling 982-2222 for passengers who find this more convenient than carrying cash. Passengers who fail to pay in advance or at the time of boarding may be denied transportation.
- How To Arrange For Transportation: You will need to call 343-1721 (extension 3) to make reservations. Reservations are taken between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Sunday. Reservations must be made at least one day in advance of desired transport time.
To acquire an application, you may call Valley Metro at 982-2222 and have one mailed
or faxed to you.
You may also click here to download an application.
When you and your medical professional of choice have completed the application, you may mail it to us at:
Valley Metro - STAR Service
PO Box 13247
Roanoke, VA 24032-3247
Instead, you or your doctor's office may fax the completed application to (540) 982-2703 (Attention: STAR Service)
Please have the following information ready to give to the dispatcher:
- Identification Number and Name
- Time of your Appointment
- Your Destination, Building Name and Address
- Your Return Timeand destination
For more information please call Valley Metro at (540) 982-2222 or check the RADAR web site!
Updated - 3/13/2018